Sitemap| Contact | Language: English Deutsch


You are here: Home / Service Providers / Sights / Upper Bavaria / Details

Königssee St Bartholomew's Church

in 83471 Schönau a. Königssee, Bavaria (DE)

The Palace and pilgrimage church were founded by the Prince-Provosts of Berchtesgaden in 1134. The triple-concha design of the church dates back to 1697; the stucco-work is by the Salzburg master Joseph Schmidt.

In the 18th century the summer and hunting palace was rebuilt, with older building sections incorporated. After Berchtesgaden became part of Bavaria in 1810, the palace became a hunting lodge for the Bavarian kings and was one of their favourite haunts. Since the Romantic period, the world-famous pilgrimage church, set against the Watzmann range, has been a source of inspiration for numerous landscape painters.

Details

Castles / locks, Churches/ cloister
Regions: Upper Bavaria
Groups from 10 to 50 persons
Languages spoken: German
  • Suitable for coach groups
  • Suitable for pensioners

Ask for more Information

Link to the official tourist information site of the region Allgäu Lint to the official website of the touristic region of Upper Bavaria This marketing has been co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).

Copyright © 2006-2009 by Allgäu Marketing GmbH / TV Oberbayern e.V. , all rights reserved - created by SalesGuide24.de
Quick links to: