Sitemap| Contact | Language: English Deutsch


Herrenchiemsee Monastery (Old Palace)

in 83209 Herrenchiemsee, Bavaria (DE)

In around 1130, Archbishop Konrad of Salzburg established a canonical foundation of the Order of St Augustine in place of an 8th-century Benedictine monastery.

It was later redesigned in the Baroque style and was dissolved in 1803. King Ludwig II acquired the island in 1873 as the site of his new palace and established his own private quarters in the monastery.
In 1948 the Constitutional Assembly met in the dining room to draw up the Grundgesetz (constitution) for the Federal Republic of Germany. The main themes of the museum are "From Monastery to Palace" and "The Birth of a Constitution".
The prelacy floor (north wing) of the monastery complex has been used since 2001 as a gallery showing 80 pictures by the Munich painter Julius Exter (1863-1939).

Location / Getting there:

DB Prien
"Chiemseebahn" (in summer) or bus (in winter) to "Schiffsanlegestelle Prien/Stock"
Regular boats from Prien or Gstadt (www.chiemsee-schifffahrt.de)
Coach trips from the landing stage to the monastery and back (from mid-April to the end of October)

Details

Sight, Castles / locks, Museum/ exhibition
Regions: Chiemsee region (Upper Bavaria), Upper Bavaria
Groups from 10 to 50 persons
Languages spoken: German, English
  • Suitable for coach groups
  • Suitable for pensioners

Ask for more Information

Link to the official tourist information site of the region Allgäu Lint to the official website of the touristic region of Upper Bavaria This marketing has been co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).

Copyright © 2006-2009 by Allgäu Marketing GmbH / TV Oberbayern e.V. , all rights reserved - created by SalesGuide24.de
Quick links to: